Most of the commonly reported issues and questions are answered in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) option under the Support menu of this website.
*** PLEASE NOTE ***
Your forum account is not the same as the account used in the shop. They are completely separate accounts.
21st November: A new version of the GoFlight Interface Tool for FS2020 is now available.
12th November: A new version of the GoFlight Interface Tool for X-Plane is now available.
6th June: A new version of Virtual Flight Sim Hardware is now available (huge update)
21st November: A new version of the GoFlight Interface Tool for FSX/FSXSE/P3D is now available.

Learning the hard way

Hi Steve. I was always under the impression that things were saved on exiting GIT. But there are some exceptions to this and I’m finding out the hard way.

I have the Carenado PC12 for VFR flying and wanted to assign battery, alternators etc. to T8 switches. When I created bespoke events I was under the mistaken idea these would be saved when I exited GIT. But today, on wondering why none of the switches would work I discovered there were no events associated with the switches.

More investigation reveals bespoke events have to be exported otherwise they’re lost on exit. I’m getting there but the hard way. I guess you remember things more when you go through the frustration of losing work. But maybe a gentle reminder on exiting GIT that unsaved work will be lost would be helpful.
Cheers,
Ray (Cheshire, England)

Comments

• edited July 2020
    That shouldn't be happening Ray. Everything should be saved on exit. Can you create a test bespoke event, then quit and restart GIT and confirm its presence or not?!

Best wishes
    Steve

PS. If you have changed livery since making the Bespoke Events, the aircraft name will have changed, so you need to change the aircraft short name in settings to pick up all variations.
  • Hi Steve, if I had lost just one event I’d put it down to misfortune. But I know I created several events yesterday that weren’t there today. I’ll check the short name to make sure it captures all liveries and not just the current one.

I’ll do this tomorrow and let you know the result. One question. If there is an Export function what does that do differently to just creating events and then exiting? The xml was updated when I exported the settings but if I didn’t and just exited GIT P that xml time stamp wasn’t updated.
    Cheers,
    Ray (Cheshire, England)
  • Steve, could you confirm the file that is updated when bespoke events are created please? That way I’ll know straight away.
    Cheers,
    Ray (Cheshire, England)
  • Hi Steve,

Apologies. I created a bespoke event and then closed Detective and GIT. The time stamp on BespokeEvents.xml, BespokeVariables.xml and Settings.xml were updated and looking in BespokeEvents.xml it does contain the newly created event. I also checked the aircraft name and it's just Carenado PC12 so no problems with the livery.

So in theory those events should have been saved but they weren't linked to the switches. That appears to take place in Carenado PC12.xml and when I export the settings they do remain linked to the switches.
    Cheers,
    Ray (Cheshire, England)
  • You shouldn't need to export it for everything to be saved. Export is there to pass on configurations to other users. Device event and variable assignments are stored in Settings.xml for all aircraft. You can check this file to see if there is more than one Carenado PC12 listed.

Best wishes
    Steve
  • Hi Steve, I've checked Settings.xml and there are no duplicate aircraft entries. Roger on the export feature. Things seem to be okay now so I'll keep my fingers crossed they remain so.
    Cheers,
    Ray (Cheshire, England)
  • OK. Monitor it as you may have stumbled across a bug that occurs in certain situations.

Best wishes
    Steve
  • Will do.
    Cheers,
    Ray (Cheshire, England)
  • Hi Steve,

Could this be a bug or something I have done wrong? I know for sure I created bespoke events for the fuel valves in the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25. I have used them on previous flights. But if you look at this screenshot you can see they exist in the XP_Gates_Learjet_25_v3_Retrofitted.xml. But look at the list of available events and they don't appear. Why?

How does GIT know which file to load and from where? Do they have to be in a particular folder? Maybe that's the problem.

Cheers,
    Ray (Cheshire, England)
  • edited July 2020
    I wonder if this might be the reason the fuel valve events are not listed. This is from Settings.xml. They're shown as EventCmd rather than Bespoke. I shall add them via Detective and GIT and see what happens.

Control ID="0" ACTIONType="EventCmd" ACTION="ONOFF" LIGHTType="SimVar" LIGHT="GENERAL_ENG_FUEL_VALVE1" LIGHTACTIONType="LightCmd" LIGHTACTION="OFF" LIGHTVALUEType="Float" LIGHTVALUE="0" ACTION_OFFType="EventCmd" ACTION_OFF="ONOFF" Control ID="1" ACTIONType="EventCmd" ACTION="ONOFF" LIGHTType="SimVar" LIGHT="GENERAL_ENG_FUEL_VALVE2" LIGHTACTIONType="LightCmd" LIGHTACTION="OFF" LIGHTVALUEType="Float" LIGHTVALUE="0" ACTION_OFFType="EventCmd" ACTION_OFF="ONOFF"

All xml formatting had to be removed otherwise it doesn't show.
    Cheers,
    Ray (Cheshire, England)
  • I deleted the first two events in settings.xml and save it. Launched GIT and created the two bespoke events which use default FS events, not Lear ones. After adding both to switches 1 and 2 I exited GIT and checked settings.xml. They are shown correctly. So I know that today they were definitely there. If they disappear I'll be back. :)
    Cheers,
    Ray (Cheshire, England)
  • EventCmd is correct. Is the aircraft name associated with the missing bespoke events exactly the same as the one shown in aricraft short name in the settings tab?
  • The two I created today are now shown as Bespoke and appear in Settings.xml and BespokeEvents.xml. Can you explain the difference between EventCmd and Bespoke please?

The aircraft name does match. That's the first thing I check for. Things seem okay now Steve so I'll just see how it goes.
    Cheers,
    Ray (Cheshire, England)